Tornadoes, Patriots to play in championship

Beta and Z will face off for the men’s intramural basketball championship. Photos: Tatiana Bento and Ethan Rogers

The Beta Gamma Delta Patriots and the Epsilon Zeta Chi Tornadoes will face each other in the men’s intramural basketball championship tonight at 8 on Main Court in the Davis Field House.

The Tornadoes are going in as the underdogs with a record of 11-1, while the Patriots, with an undefeated 12-0 season record, are the favorites to win.   

Neither Beta nor Z has made it to the championship game since 2012, when the two faced off in an exciting contest in which Beta emerged the victor. That year, Beta was up by one point at halftime and opened the second half with a 22-2 run over Z, spurred largely by the shooting of Kyle McVey who had 29 on the night. Z fought back to within one, however, with just over three minutes left in the game, coming from the efforts of Evan Brondyke, who ended with 21 points. Beta then took control once again and won the game by seven, 65-58. At that time, both teams were undefeated, and following the win, Beta recorded its third consecutive undefeated season.

Now, three years later, the Patriots find themselves undefeated and looking to reestablish themselves as kings of the court. Beta is 12-0 and won both of its previous playoff games handily. The Patriots defeated the Omega Lions by over 20 points in the first round before they faced the Sigma Alpha Chi Spartans in the semifinals. Sigma played a hard-fought game and stuck with the Patriots for much of the contest. Sigma freshman Will Gingery proved to be a big defensive asset and made it hard for the Patriots to navigate through the lane. Beta’s dominant offense and superior defense prevailed, however, and the Patriots pulled ahead late in the second half, going on to win by nine, 59-50.

Although the Tornadoes lost their second game of the season to the Cobras, they have proved why they deserve to be in the final game. Z has won every game since including both playoff games, which they won by double-digit margins.

Like Beta, Z secured a first-round bye. In the game to see which team would secure the bye, Z defeated the Alpha Razorbacks on a last-second layup by senior Noah Dargy that fell through at the buzzer. Z defeated the Cobras (1) in the first round by 13, then played the Chi Alpha Chi Cavaliers in the semifinal. The Cavs, like the Spartans, played a strong first half but faltered late in the second. Chi Alpha sophomore Jonas Pagliarini and senior Robert Troutman did a good job on the offensive side to keep the Cavs in the game, but Z overpowered the Cavs late in the second half and won 70-58.

The 2015 intramural men’s basketball championship game tonight between the Patriots and Tornadoes will tip off at 8 on Main Court in the Davis Field House.