Day of Prayer to focus on ‘drawing near’

BJU students gather in FMA for Day of Prayer last September. Photo: Photo Services

Each semester at BJU, the University family sets one day aside for students, faculty and staff to gather together in prayer. This semester’s Day of Prayer will take place this Tuesday and will focus on the theme “Let us draw near.”

This theme is based on Hebrews 10:22: “Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.”

The day’s activities will begin at 8:15 a.m. with a sermon from Vice President for Ministerial Advancement Dr. Sam Horn.

Students will then divide into groups for 9 and 10 a.m. prayer sessions.

For the 9 a.m. session, students will divide by regions and will focus on world missions. For the 10 a.m. session, students will divide by society, and the chaplains will decide on the session’s focus.

The day’s events will conclude with an 11 a.m. praise service that will include music and testimonies.

Kyle Wilcox, special assistant to BJU President Dr. Steve Pettit, understands that Day of Prayer can become habitual, but encourages students to take full advantage of the opportunity to present their requests before God.

“It’s a half day each semester that we get to corporately devote our time to the privilege of prayer,” Wilcox said. “We get to draw near to the Lord together.”

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 7.58.31 PM