Bruins claw Cougars, 61-30

Junior guard Chalice Pack jumps for a shot inside the paint. Photo: Holly Diller

The Bob Jones University women’s basketball team has turned up the heat late in the regular season, stacking a 61-30 victory over rival Clearwater Christian College onto a three-game winning streak.

The Jan. 31 contest was never close as the Bruins quickly pulled in front in the first half. Head Coach Mike LeViere employed both a 2-3 zone and man-to-man defense, and the Cougars’ inconsistent perimeter shooting was unable to keep CCC in the game. At the half, the scoreboard read 34-12.

In the second half, the Bruins continued to add to their lead against the Cougars. BJU’s stout defense prevented any attempt of a comeback from CCC, and senior forward Kourtney Hoefler and junior guard Hannah Tompkins both recorded 13 points to erase any momentum the Cougars built up.

The Bruins’ strategy was obvious from the beginning of the game: attack the glass. BJU outrebounded CCC by a 60-21 margin, including 21 offensive rebounds. Although the Bruins shot only 34.9 percent from the floor, the numerous boards on the offensive glass led to second-chance points and a victory for BJU. Hoefler pulled down 19 total rebounds and recorded 13 points.

Although Hoefler had an outstanding game, she quickly gave credit to her teammates. “We had a mismatch in any post player we had in there,” Hoefler said. “It wasn’t just post rebounding. We had our guards working really hard and boxing out well.”

“We did really well,” LeViere said after the game. “We defended really well. We knew who they were and recognized their personnel. Our rebounding was phenomenal.”

The Lady Bruins move to 13-11 overall and 6-4 at home.