Second ‘Seniors on Stage’ event to showcase student talent

Photo%3A+Submitted
Photo: Submitted

Lights! Camera! Talent! Seniors on Stage is back. The senior class will hold the second Seniors on Stage talent competition March 14 to raise funds for this year’s senior class gift. Any student currently attending BJU, both undergraduate and graduate, can enter by signing up on the Seniors on Stage Facebook page.

In 2013, with hundreds of their peers and University faculty members watching, 10 students competed for the grand prize: $500 toward a trip to Disney World. This year, the BJU student body has that opportunity again. The first set of tryouts for the talent show took place Jan. 31, and the second set will be Saturday, from 8 a.m. until noon, in Stratton Hall. Members of the Student Leadership Council will narrow the number of contestants down to 10 to 15 students who will perform in front of a live audience Saturday, March 14.

All talents are welcome. Some favorite talents from the last Seniors on Stage include juggling, a euphonium solo and an original rendition of “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.”

The 2013 winner was Sam Stephens, now a seminary student, who wrote and performed an original poem about life on the BJU campus. “The atmosphere was electric,” Stephens said.  “The audience was excited. All of the other amazing talent was backstage practicing and preparing, and I was thrilled to be a part of such an amazing production.”

The 2015 talent show will be judged by an all-star panel: Miss Jane Smith and Dr. Dan Olinger, who are both returning judges, and one new judge, Dr. Steve Pettit.

Brooke Brenneman, senior class representative, said, “After Seniors on Stage is over for the evening, I want people to walk out of Stratton Hall still smiling, laughing or awestruck over the amazing and funny talents they beheld.”

Tickets will be available soon. Like “Seniors on Stage” on Facebook to keep up with the latest information.