Patriots sink Vikings, 62-44

Nu Delt’s Brandon Anderson makes a shot on Beta’s basket. Photo: Tatiana Bento

The 2015 men’s intramural basketball season recently began with 24 teams from 19 different societies fighting for their chance to compete in the intramural championship, which will be held in March. The Beta Gamma Delta Patriots, now 2-0 after a win against the Sigma Alpha Chi Spartans, overwhelmed the Nu Delta Chi Vikings’ A team from the beginning, leading to a decisive 62-44 victory.

The Vikings held their own in the opening 10 minutes, surprising the fast-paced Patriots, who use up-paced tempo and good shooting to wear down their opponents. Nu Delta sophomore Victor Martinez was a big part of the Viking effort, driving through the Beta defense on several occasions, earning both layups and trips to the charity stripe, where he shot 4-4 on free throws. As the half progressed, however, the Patriots’ junior Andrew Moisant helped give the Patriots the upper hand, contributing from both inside and outside the arc. By halftime, Beta had accumulated a 15-point lead to end the half 35-20.

Control of the second half switched back and forth, but even as the Vikings converted on offense, they struggled to contain a potent Beta offense. The Patriots again relied on excellent perimeter shooting and high-energy fast breaks to maintain a solid lead over Nu Delt, who at one time closed the gap to 12 at 47-35. The Patriots went on to win 62-44, dropping the Vikings A team, which beat the Pi Gamma Delta Royals B team earlier in the season, to 1-1.