Society-Bruin initiative unites BJU students and alumni

Do you and your brother/sister society enjoy competing against other societies? Do you like winning prizes?

On Saturday you will have the opportunity to do both during the second Saturday of the inaugral Society-Bruin initiative: an event organized by Student Life staff, Davis Field House staff and the Alumni Association to unite alumni and current students through societies and the Bruins.

BJU has held separate events for societies and the Bruins, but nothing on this scale to combine the two.

“Hopefully, it’s a neat opportunity for alumni in the area to not only come out and enjoy a free basketball game from their alma mater, but also to reconnect with current and former members of their society,” said Matthew Weathers, student leadership coordinator.

To promote the event, brother and sister societies call, email and use social media to contact alumni from their societies. The brother and sister societies with the highest percentage of alumni in attendance will win the prize.

But there is another prize worth competing for.

One current student in attendance each basketball game has the opportunity to win $10,000 toward his or her tuition. At the remaining game, a name will be drawn, and whoever is called will have 30 seconds to make three shots: a lay-up, a three-point and a half-court.

Both games are held on Saturday nights at
7 p.m. Alumni and their households will receive free admission for the basketball games their former societies attend.societyiniti