Chamber vocal ensemble Cantus to perform on BJU campus

Cantus, one of America’s premier vocal ensembles will perform a concert at BJU. Photo: Submitted

Cantus, the full-time professional vocal chamber ensemble declared “the premier men’s vocal ensemble in the United States” by Fanfare Magazine, will perform a concert in BJU’s Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium Tuesday at 8 p.m.

This nine-member group is known for its innovative concert programming. Rebecca Davis, who handles public relations for the group, said Cantus will perform a program called “Anthem,” which explores the traditions and customs of singing throughout the world with a specific emphasis on when and why people sing together.

Cantus tenor Aaron Humble said, “Anthems are an expression of identity and create a way for communities to show support for a cause, belief, a heritage, or even a sports team.”

The program includes songs from various cultures and traditions that ask the question: “When we gather together, how does singing help us celebrate, inspire or heal?”

In addition to works by Kodály, Holst, Verdi, Janáček and Tallis, “Anthem” features a Hebrew mourner’s Kaddish and the African-American work song, “Rainbow ‘Round my Shoulder.” Two new pieces commissioned for the program include “When We Sing” by Rosephanye Powell, inspired by the recent study that people’s heartbeats start to sync when they sing together, and an arrangement of “How Can I Keep From Singing” from Stephen Caracciolo, who previously arranged “Simple Gifts” for the group.

Following the concert, the Student Leadership Council will host a dessert social in the lobby of Rodeheaver Auditorium. A limited number of tickets went on sale Tuesday, Jan. 20. The cost is $5 for one and $8 for two and includes cheesecake with toppings, as well as coffee and tea. Student Life staff will be in attendance to fellowship with students.