Tigers go two for two, defeat Flames, Wildcats


Senior Becca Bredehoft proved a valuable contributor to the Tigers’ victory over the Flames. Photo: Tatiana Bento

The Theta Delta Omicron Tigers have won both of their last two soccer games against the Nu Alpha Phi Flames and the Zoe Aletheia Wildcats respectively.

Earlier this week, the Tigers played the Nu Alpha Phi Flames in what was each team’s third game of the season. The Tigers then played their fourth game against the Zoe Aletheia Wildcats Tuesday night. The Tigers prevailed in both games, winning 3-2 over the Flames and defeating the Wildcats 7-2.

In the first game, the Tigers looked to add another win against the struggling Flames squad, who proved to be a tough opponent. Although the game was close throughout, the Tigers were able to come away with the victory, winning by just one goal.

The Tigers then focused on the Wildcats, who gave them a strong challenge throughout the first half on Tuesday night. The Wildcats captured their only lead when they scored the first goal of the game to take an early 1-0 lead.

The Tigers evened the score eleven minutes later when they recorded their own first goal. The Tigers kept up the pressure and had a shot go off the crossbar of the Wildcats’ goal before senior Jen Buckley rocketed in a shot to make a 2-1 Tiger lead heading into the second half.

The second half was all Tigers, who recorded five goals while holding the Wildcats to just one. The first of these five came just fourteen seconds into the second half, giving the Tigers a quick 3-1 advantage. The Tigers scored again less than one minute later, grabbing the 4-1 lead and all the momentum with it.

The Wildcats’ Julie Mission, a junior, provided a strong offensive presence and had a close call just three minutes into the second half as her shot ricocheted off of the Tiger cross bar. Two minutes later Mission fired another shot attempt, but the shot would not go. The Tigers’ senior Becca Bredehoft then gained possession and fired a long shot, just ten yards in front of mid-field, which found its way to the back of the net for a four-point lead.

With fifteen minutes remaining in the half, and the Wildcats desperately needing a spark of offense, it was Mission again who looked to bring pressure to the Tigers’ backfield. Her efforts paid off as she made her way around a defender and kicked in a goal from just outside the 18, cutting the Tiger lead to three at 5-2.

In the remaining minutes, the Tigers bombarded several shots on the net and scored two more goals in the last four minutes of the game for a final score of 7-2.