Bruins golf team sweeps podium at Hiwassee College Invitational

On Monday, Sept. 22, the Bruins golf team traveled to Tennessee to compete in the Hiwassee College Invitational. Looking to defend their title at the Rariety Bay Golf Club, they not only won, but also posted a team record of 301. Despite windy conditions and high mountain altitude, the Bruins swept the podium. Sophomore Micah Gold placed first, senior Clay Wiginton placed second and junior Kyle James placed third.

Competition that day included Hiwassee College, Bryan College, Johnson University and Welch College. Gold appeared to be on track to break his school record of 69, but several bogeys brought that score to a close 70. Wiginton finished a solid performance on the back nine with three birdies, and James reached his personal best of 75.

Freshmen Matt Shannon and John Smoker both scored 82, while junior Blake Counts and freshman Jeremiah Heath both scored 85. The team’s combined scores of 301 were an improvement over last year’s score of 307.

On the women’s side, three out of the five competitors were Bruins. Freshman Christine Formanack not only scored her personal best of 105, but also achieved the women’s golf team’s first birdie. Her excellent play put her in second place for individual finishes.

James remarked, “The course seemed pretty easy to go low to score on, but the weather conditions were fairly windy, and it was a higher elevation up in the mountains. That made a difference for club selection for how far the ball would go. The front nine seemed easier than the back nine. I definitely felt better about my front score, but I was still able to come out with a 75, which was still a solid contribution.”

After posting impressive team and individual scores, the Bruins are looking to follow their win with another at the NCCAA DI South Regional Tournament this weekend.