Bruins women score home win vs. Petrels

Teamwork and aggressive play landed the Bruins a 1-0 win at home against the Oglethorpe College Stormy Petrals. Photo: Holly Diller

On Saturday, Sept. 20, the Bruins women’s soccer team defeated the Oglethorpe College Stormy Petrels at home with a score of 1-0.

BJU started the game with the same starting formation as Friday night, but quickly realized the formation would not work with the Petrels’ offense.

The Bruins altered their formation and played hard; the Petrels played with equal ferocity.  Both teams’ aggressive playing ended in a 0-0 score at halftime, as neither team could break the ice and make its shots count.

In the first 10 minutes of the second half, Bruins midfielder Paige Englehart carried the ball up the field. Two Petrel defensive players collapsed in on her, and she passed the ball to forward Leah Edwards who executed a powerful shot and put the Bruins on the scoreboard.

The energized Bruins quickly came back with one combination after another.  The Petrels started to feel the pressure as the time passed, and they too tried to get off a successful shot.

In the final minutes of the game, the Petrels shot two penalty kicks, but missed both, and the Bruins came away with a refreshing victory.

The BJU Bruins women’s soccer record for this season now stands at 5-2-1.

The team will play Chowan University at home Saturday, Sept. 27, at 2 p.m., followed by another home game against Georgia Gwinnett College Tuesday, Sept. 30, at 5 p.m.