Bruins women rebound after season’s first loss

The BJU Bruins women’s soccer team suffered its first loss of the regular season to the Ohio Christian University Trailblazers 1-0 Friday, Sept. 12.

The Bruins had more goal attempts than OCU in both halves of the game, but were unable to finish any of these opportunities.

Tori Anderson, a co-captain, said this game reminded the team not to take any matches for granted.

Caitlyn Lehman, Anderson’s fellow co-captain, said the team learned from the loss and still sought to glorify God through it.

The Bruins created 32 goal attempts in the first half of the game. Unfortunately, none of these shots found the back of the net.

On Saturday, Sept. 13, the Bruins women, fueled by the disappointment of their loss the previous night, played the Kentucky Christian University Knights and won 6-0.

“We did really well making some combinations, making some runs, getting the through balls in,” Anderson said. “We just worked really hard. Coming off the hard loss from Ohio, we just wanted to win that much more.”

The first goal came during the third minute of play and was assisted by senior Rebecca Luttrell, who sent a straight pass to freshman Paige Engelhart.

Engelhart then outwitted the Knights’ keeper and slipped the ball past her and the line. 

BJU’s defense did a phenomenal job of shutting down the Knights’ offense, allowing Luttrell to score the second goal of the game just minutes after the first.

Before the first half was over, Englehart and junior Natasha Walters had both scored goals, bringing the halftime score to 4-0.

In the second half, Lehman was set up for a shot and propelled the ball into the goal. 

Assisted by her teammates’ forward movement of the ball, freshman Anna Daulton scored the final goal for the Bruins.

The two captains said everyone played well, filling in the gaps when needed to secure the six goals.

Lehman said the team simply turned its disappointment from the night before into energy for that day’s game.

“Kentucky Christian didn’t know what was coming at them,” Lehman said. “We were just ready to         play well.”

The record now stands at 4-1-1 for the Bruins women’s soccer team.

The team will play at Toccoa Falls College Friday, Sept. 19, and at  home  Saturday, Sept. 20, against Oglethorpe University.