Tigers overwhelm Pirates, win softball championship

A Tigers hitter gets ready to swing in Saturday’s softball championship game. Photo: Amy Roukes

The Theta Delta Omicron Tigers defeated the Tri Epsilon Pirates 19-2 in the women’s intramural softball championship Saturday.

The hard-hitting Tigers scored five runs in the fourth inning and eight runs in the sixth to finish the season as the first-place team.

Tiger sophomore Bethany Chism hit the ball hard and played a key role in both of Theta Delta’s big innings by getting on base and bringing runners home.

The Pirates earned two runs in the bottom of the second on a single and a walk with the bases loaded, but they struggled to get the bats going after that.

The Tigers scored three runs in both the first and second innings. The first inning scoring came from extra base hits, including an RBI triple from Chism to start the scoring. In the second inning the Tigers methodically reached base with five singles and a walk.

The Pirates were able to retire the side in the top of the third inning but stranded two runners in the bottom half, and the score remained 6-2 in favor of the Tigers.

Theta Delta put two on in the top of the fourth before Chism smacked another RBI single. The next batter doubled to make the score 9-2 before a two-run homer made it 11-2.

Neither side was able to change the score until the top of the sixth, when the Tigers strung together five straight hits and a walk to make it 14-2. A walk, two singles and a double brought home five more runs to finish the night’s scoring.

“It feels great; we came close last year,” Tigers coach Leah Forsythe said about winning the championship. “Good fielding and just base hits. Advancing the runners and bringing them home.” Coach Forsythe credited her team’s ability to stick to the basics and focus on getting to first base as the reason for its success this season.

20130420tigersvpirateschamp-ar01
A Tigers batter takes a swing during Saturday’s championship game. Photo: Amy Roukes