University to break for Bible Conference: A look at the speakers, activities and reunions scheduled for the week

Students in the congregation sing during a service at last year’s Bible Conference. Photo: Photo Services

The week of Bible Conference, March 17–22, provides students, faculty and staff with a break from academics to focus on God and to be refreshed by Him. It is filled with solid preaching, sacred and classical concerts, and many other venues for fellowship. Here is a preview of the week and its events.

SPEAKERS

Dr. Bob Jones III coordinates the speakers for Bible Conference, choosing them based on personal knowledge and because some have spoken in past conferences.

This year’s speakers are Dr. Hantz Bernard, director of Bibles International in Grand Rapids, Mich.; Dr. Dan Dickerson, pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Midland, Mich.; Dr. David McIlveen, retired pastor of Sandown Road Free Presbyterian Church in Belfast, Northern Ireland; Dr. Kevin Schaal, pastor of Northwest Valley Baptist Church in Glendale, Ariz.; Dr. Will Senn, pastor of Tri-City Baptist Church in Westminster, Colo.; Dr. Clarence Sexton, pastor of Temple Baptist Church and president of Crown College of the Bible in Powell, Tenn.; and Dr. Jerry Williamson, pastor of First Baptist Church in Coconut Creek, Fla.

All of the services during Bible Conference will be webcast live.

ACTIVITIES

Many activities are also scheduled during the week of Bible Conference. On Tuesday, March 19, at 3:30 p.m. the BJU Concert Band will perform a recital in Stratton Hall.

Wednesday, March 20, is Parents Day, and parents of current students can receive discounts at the Campus Store and the dining common. Also scheduled for Wednesday at noon is a luncheon for pastors and Christian ministry workers.

Both the Museum & Gallery on campus and at Heritage Green are open free of charge on Thursday, March 21. The Foundation Brass will give an informal outdoor concert at 11:30 a.m. in the Student Center Mall.

ALUMNI REUNIONS

Also, alumni reunions are scheduled for Thursday, March 21, and Friday, March 22. The Class of 1963 will meet on Thursday for its 50-year reunion. A reception for “50 and beyond” will take place on Thursday as well as a general alumni meeting and reception in the Davis Field House after the Thursday evening service. Reunions for the 10-, 20-, 25-, 30- and 40-year marks all occur in various locations on campus on Friday following the evening service.

Mr. Jonathan Pait, manager of events and services for the Alumni Association, said these reunions are officially organized by the University. Additionally, some classes arrange to have a picnic on the Saturday following Bible Conference. Pait said the University sends out postcards, emails and social media invitations, and the turnout for each reunion typically includes more than 100 alumni.

These alumni reunions are a time for fellowship. Pait said the programs used to be more elaborate because the older generations prefer more of a program. But the newer generations coming up desire just to be together, and they want an opportunity and a place to mingle.

According to Pait, in order to involve more alumni in the future, the Alumni Association is looking toward not having the reunions during Bible Conference but instead spreading them throughout the year.