Week at a glance

Giuseppe Verdi’s Requiem
Tonight, 7:30 p.m., Rodeheaver Auditorium

The BJU Symphony Orchestra and nearly 200 university singers will welcome four professional soloists tonight for a performance of Giuseppe Verdi’s Requiem. The Requiem, first performed in Milan in 1874, was written as a memorial for two Italian art icons, Gioachino Rossini and Alessandro Manzoni. In the Requiem, Verdi altered the standard liturgical text to meet his dramatic purposes. Dr. Warren Cook, conductor of the orchestra, emphasized the spectacular effect and scale of this production and encouraged the university family to attend. “It is a grand, great, unstaged drama and a spectacle of humanity,” he said. The featured soloists include soprano Hope Koehler and bass Patrick Blackwell (introduced to the University in last year’s American Spiritual Ensemble artist series), along with tenor Issachah Savage.

Resume and Interviewing Workshop
Monday, March 4, 5 p.m., Levinson Hall

Dr. Steve Buckley, manager of Career Services, will host a Resume and Interviewing Workshop on Monday, March 4 at 5 p.m. in Levinson Hall. The workshop will highlight effective methods of resume writing and interviewing. Buckley will give students tips on how to best market themselves to future employers. The workshop focuses on how to avoid common pitfalls and how to stand out from the crowd. Students are encouraged to bring a copy of the College & Beyond: A Career Guide to Your Success.

Midterm Grade Reports
Tuesday, March 5

Students will be able to access midterm grade reports via StudentCentral on Tuesday, March 5.

Blood Drive
March 4 – March 8

Next week, the Blood Connection will be on campus to conduct the university blood drive. The Blood Connection is a non-profit organization that supplies blood to hospitals in the Greenville area. Mr. Kasey McClure, director of student organizations, encouraged students to give back to the community through giving blood. One unit (the amount of blood drawn from one individual) could save up to three lives. “We’re giving life from a physical perspective,” McClure said. “That’s building a bridge. It’s not just the BJU community that’s going to benefit from this. Everybody in the Greenville area [has the potential to] benefit from this.”

Biblical Worldview Forum
Friday, March 8, 11 a.m., FMA

The student body will gather on Friday, March 8, for the next installment of the University’s Biblical Worldview Forums. The emphasis of this forum is the topic of “The Christian and Alcohol” and will conclude a week of messages relating to the topic. As in past forums, students will have the opportunity to text in questions during the week. Dr. Eric Newton, dean of students, said he and Dr. Jones hope to encourage students to look at this issue in a biblical light. “We are concerned that students really grapple with what God has said and choose a God-glorifying path, knowing that there will be a lot of pressure to conform to common practices,” he said. Three panelists will participate in the forum: Mr. Mike Buiter, dean of the School of Business; Mrs. Vicki Peek, chief operations officer, FGP International; and Dr. Randy Jaeggli, faculty member of the Seminary and Graduate School of Religion.