Bruins Red-Out to support American Heart Association

Students are used to having “white-outs” and “blue-outs” as they cheer on the Bruins, but next week they’ll have the chance to wear a different color.

The BJU Bruins, American Heart Association and the Alumni Association are coming together Feb. 8 to give the Davis Field House a different type of atmosphere as they host the first ever “Red-Out” in support of raising awareness for heart attacks and heart disease.

Official “Red-Out” T-shirts will be available to purchase for $10 on Feb. 4 and can be bought ahead of time at the Alumni Association office or at the game. Admission is free for anyone wearing a shirt, and T-shirt proceeds will go to the American Heart Association for research.

BJU sports information director Jonny Gamet said BJU cares about the issues in the world around us. “As an athletic department, the biggest reason to get behind a cause like this is because we know that people can come see [the] Bruins in our atmosphere,” he said. “How we run our sports program is an opportunity to show Christ both on and off the floor.”

Gamet said halftime for both the men’s and women’s games will feature testimonies of people who have been affected by the health of their hearts. Coach Andrew Wingreen and Dr. Gary Weier are both scheduled to speak.