Spartans dominate, push past Lions in opening day game

Omega sophomore James Peery guards Sigma freshman Brandon Weldon. Photo: Emma Klak

Despite numerous turnovers by both teams, the Sigma Alpha Spartans swept past the Alpha Omega Lions on Jan. 22 with a final score of 63-30.

The Lions have dropped into a season-opening hole following their second 30-point loss. The Spartans, whose annual opening day matchup against Omega has become a tradition after three straight seasons, have improved to 4-4 versus the Lions in the last three seasons.

The Spartans took the lead right after tipoff with two free throws from junior guard Josiah Kilian, followed by a long 3-pointer and a coast-to-coast layup from dynamic freshman guard Evan Fisher. Senior guard Ryan Fisher contributed a driving layup and a 3-pointer to keep the offense hot, and senior forward Justen Blackstone provided a strong post presence, grabbing several buckets and drawing fouls.

Omega caught some momentum following a long jumper off the hands of sophomore guard Conner Welby in addition to a layup and rebounds by junior forward Andrew Martin, closing the score to 12-9. Sigma senior center Moises Del Real came out strong and slammed down four blocks in his first three minutes off the bench. Del Real also put up four points and hauled in five rebounds in the first half.

Sigma began pulling away with about eight minutes left in the first half, and the combination of intense perimeter defense, consistent rebounding and six free throws put Sigma up 34-13 at halftime.

The second half wasn’t very different from the first, as Sigma continued to force turnovers and rebounded well. Martin knocked down several long 3-pointers, and sophomore guard James Peery and Welby each contributed on the offensive end, but the Spartan offense kept rolling. Kilian continued to play well, dishing out assists and helping Sigma to come away with the 63-30 victory.