Week at a glance

Fine Arts Run-Offs
Monday, 6:30 p.m., Fine Arts Building

Fine Arts Music Contest run-offs begin Monday, Feb. 4. The categories to enter include men’s and women’s voice, strings (plucked and bowed), woodwinds, brass, piano and composition.

Dr. Ed Dunbar, chair of the Division of Music, said this competition asks students to prepare a piece without any faculty assistance and perform before a committee of judges. “We’re really preparing them for ‘real life,’” Dunbar said.

Entries for the art division, which include the categories studio 2D and 3D, graphic design, interior design and apparel/textile design, are not due until April.

College Up Close days
February 6-9

Feb. 6-9 begins BJU’s College Up Close days, an opportunity for prospective students to visit the University.

This semester BJU has scheduled a total of four College Up Close trips, with prospective students arriving from Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, New York and New Jersey.

Mr. David Orr, manager, Welcome Center, said the purpose of College Up Close is to introduce prospective students to the University and let them experience what it is like to be a student at BJU. “We’d like for them to picture themselves here as students,” Orr said.

Scholastic Bowl
February 8, 11 a.m.

Scholastic Bowl kicks off Feb. 8 during society. This inter-society, single-elimination trivia tournament includes questions from all the subjects of the liberal arts curriculum.

The top two teams will face each other during commencement week. Last year, the champion was Nu Delta Chi.

Dr. John Matzko, chair of the Division of Social Science, coordinates scholastic bowl and writes all of the questions. “The whole idea of this is that it is supposed to be entertaining,” Matzko said. “It’s just supposed to be fun.”