BJU community commemorates 9/11 anniversary with flag display

Today, America remembers the day that the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington D.C. were attacked by terrorists. People around the country mournfully honor the nearly three thousand lives that were taken twenty-three years ago, including those who perished with Flight 93 crashed in a Pennsylvania field.

The 9/11 attacks of 2001 shook the country to its core. We continue to feel the effects today. Many fathers, mothers, children and spouses were lost. September 11 stirs grief for the victims’ loved ones.

Katelyn McKenney

Despite this tragedy, the American spirit was not destroyed. The mastermind of the attacks has been brought to justice. A nonprofit memorial and museum was erected in the original location of the Twin Towers in 2011. Each year, a tribute ceremony is hosted at the memorial. It is a promise and commitment that we, the people of the United States of America, will never forget.

In Greenville, BJU students honor the victims with a flag display, planting one American flag for each victim of 9/11. It’s a small part of remembering the fallen. The flags line the front lawn of the university campus along Wade Hampton Boulevard at the main entrance. 

About the Contributors
Katelyn McKenney
Katelyn McKenney, Photo Editor
Katelyn McKenney is a senior educational studies major. She is on staff as the Collegian Photo Editor. She is a part of the Chi Kappa Delta Dragons and enjoys reading, singing, hiking and taking nature photos.
Olivia Adams, Staff Writer
Olivia Adams is a freshman communications major currently serving as a writer and social media manager at The Collegian. She also serves as the social media manager for the University choir at Bob Jones. In her free time, Olivia also enjoys hiking, drinking coffee, reading and playing sports.